The thing about hanging out with a 3 year old is you can no longer have secrets. They don’t believe in them.
Try making a secret birthday cake for Dad.
Recipe for madness;
1.Spend ages researching recipes that suit everyone, birthday dad, helpful and keen 3 yr old cook, somewhat inept mother and also-keen-to-be-involved baby.
2. Squeeze in secret shopping of ingredients for (now looking more complex) cake between already hectic life and rain.
3. Somehow manage to clean (ish) house, get washing and nappy wash done, wash-up, get dinner going before 11 in the morning.
4. Collect hungry toddler from nursery.
5. Eat lunch. (well, they eat/throw/shout. You just run back and forth trying to anticipate next request).
7.Get baby to bed
8. Finally start cake. Follow instructions. Try very carefully to encourage and praise little man while at the same time trying to keep mixture in bowl, read I instructions (again, why does nothing stick these days), chase eggs (where are the eggs?), and finally….
9. Tadaaaaa, eggs located, mixture in tin in oven, toddlers hands washed of all the mixture (” just went there mummy”) and phew.
10. Once it’s done, iced and decorated and then very carefully hidden for tomorrow sit and have a cup of coffee.
I’m feeling quite pleased with the logistical mayhem I managed to negotiate today. We have just talked about how daddy will get such a lovely surprise tomorrow when he sees his cake. We are all exited and pleased with ourselves.
Then half an hour later himself gets home and little man runs straight out. Before Hubby even manages a hello he hears this…
“and today daddy we made a secret cake for your birthday and we hided it in the cupboard in the kitchen and we are going to give it to you tomorrow and mummy said a very naughty thing because she couldnt find the eggs and they were in the fridge but she didn’t see them and I licked the cake before it was in the oven but it’s ok because I washed my tongue and missy moo pulled my hair and did a poo in her nappy and Ann doesn’t have a key for the rubbish truck men and mummy lost her hat and missy moo’d hat and I like secrets…..”